Thursday 9 December 2021

Portrait of Alf

 

There were two false starts on this portrait. I just couldn't get the sketch right. I  put gesso over the attempt twice before I was brave enough to have another go. I remembered that the instructions for painting the first Cat included 'start with the eyes'. I knew that once I'd got the eyes right, the rest would follow.





I made a sketch on A4 paper and worked out how to get the expression in the eyes right. Then I tried again on larger canvas.










Using a black and white printout, I added some shading on the eyes and nose on the canvas until I was satisfied with the expression in the eyes.









I then set out the colours I'd chosen for the portrait,  loaded a paintbrush with black acrylic and started with the eyes, adding spots of colour as I went along.

I stopped about 30 minutes later to review progress. It needs more facial contours adding before I decide on the finished colour scheme and background. Acrylics are very amenable to change and I am more optimistic than I was that this will be finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely end to a bad start

Today, I had planned a local day out in the Romahome. I am getting it ready for the trip to Suffolk. The day got off to a bad start. I packe...