Saturday 30 March 2024

Lovely end to a bad start

Today, I had planned a local day out in the Romahome. I am getting it ready for the trip to Suffolk. The day got off to a bad start. I packed supplies and made sure Alf's new seat and safety harness were working. I had to adjust the driver's seat, and of course, it was stuck in the back position used by someone else. In adjusting the seat, I strained my back. 


I  was ready to give up and had a couple of hour's of self-indulgent woe-is-me. Then Alf reminded me that he hadn't been walked yet and was itching to do zoomies. We set off for the nearest walk with an all-day-food pub. The Millstream, on the banks of the Purwell, and backing onto Walsworth Common.






We parked in the overflow carpark across the lovely wooden bridge and parked under the trees.

After a short walk on the Common, I left Alf in the shade, tied to the rear seatbelt strut. I went into the pub to order lunch and was a little irritated to learn that I needed a table number. The waitress did not have the flexibility of mind to enable me to have lunch delivered to the Romahome.





I selected a table and gave the number with my order. I then took my lime and soda back to the van for 10 minutes, before colleting my meal and carrying it back. 

First meal out this year. Eating alone is not one of my favourite things, yet it happens every day. Most of my friends are part of a couple, and family live too far away to have regular meals with them.

It can't be helped, and yet I still find it a regular reminder that Eamonn has gone.








After lunch, and returning the plate to the table, Alf and I had a longer walk, completing a full circuit of the Common without meeting anyone else. Remarkable for the Saturday of Easter Weekend.

Alf loves the Common. We haven't been there for a while, thanks to all the rain and cold weather. There were lots of zoomies, testing the water in the stream, inspecting the pond, and rolling in really interesting stuff.



Alf's recall remains very good. Despite his agenda, he heads back to me as soon as I call or whistle.



So, after a really bad start, the day turned out quite nicely. On the way back home, I popped into the local shop to pick up some afternoon treats and chicken for dinner.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely end to a bad start

Today, I had planned a local day out in the Romahome. I am getting it ready for the trip to Suffolk. The day got off to a bad start. I packe...