Friday 19 November 2021

Wet on Wet experiments

 


Today. in class, we experimented with wet on wet watercolour painting. There were a series of images provided for stimulus. I chose a sunrise and adapted it to a sunrise in a rainstorm.

I'm pleased with the progress at this point. I love manipulating the colours by turning the paper so that they flow into one another.









I worked a second version without the rainstorm. Not sure I like this one as much.









All stimulus images were of skies. I couldn't resist adding the sea below. When the class moved on to larger versions of other images, I pulled up the sunrise at Sandy Gulls on my phone.







We were working with a limited palette so this was a bit challenging. I enjoy a challenge if I think I can make a good attempt at it. With only dark(ish) blue, yellow, ochre, and red, this was the final version. 











In the last half-hour, I turned to another photo on my phone. It was taken at Long Beach on the October Road Trip, and had clouds with which to experiment - by leaving the paper dry so that wet watercolour applied to the wet patches didn't run onto the dry (It's magic, really.)








I made the mistake of overworking the clouds and couldn't mix the correct colour for the dark shadows. But today's class was great.






I'm learning a lot and will be sad when the course ends next week. Kate doesn't have a gap until next March to run a follow-up class. I am always very tired at the end of two and a half hours, but very satisfied with what I've achieved. Tomorrow will be another duvet day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely end to a bad start

Today, I had planned a local day out in the Romahome. I am getting it ready for the trip to Suffolk. The day got off to a bad start. I packe...