Thursday 2 December 2021

Portrait and Seascape

 






Alf overslept this morning and almost missed his pickup with his Pack. I made good use of his absence and changed the bed linen (long overdue), and emptied and filled the dishwasher. 










After lunch, I started some work on his portrait. First I painted a 'ground' to seal the canvas. I mixed burnt umber and titanium white which I applied on a wet canvas. On youtube, this shows as a blue/grey. Mine is definitely a pink/white.









It will take some time to dry before I can apply the outline I prepared using a photo of him.

I tinkered with the image using a photo editing app. I wanted a version of the 'pop art' style of the recent Cat.







The ground didn't take long to do, so I then turned to the Longshore Fishing seascape that I started months ago. 

It was at the stage where I'd started the sly, sea, and beach and had marked out the umbrella and fisherman.





I wasn't happy with the colours on the sky, sea, or beach, so mixed some different colours and began to change them. A few touches to the umbrella (though the colours are still not right) and I packed up for the day.





I'm learning as I work but still haven't got the routine of mixing colours and working on limited sections of the canvas quite worked out yet. Mixing is messy and I haven't enough room on the desk for colours, pallette and canvas. I need a second surface alongside the folding desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely end to a bad start

Today, I had planned a local day out in the Romahome. I am getting it ready for the trip to Suffolk. The day got off to a bad start. I packe...