Friday 17 December 2021

Starting both paintings

 




Today was a good day. I tested negative for Covid and decided to celebrate by starting both new projects. 


First, I laid the acrylic ground colour for Beachlarking. A change from burnt umber and white, this is burnt umber, aquamarine, and white. It's a pale grey/blue, painted onto a ground of three layers of gesso to wipe the failed sketch of Alf.










I was going to stop there but decided to start Day 1 of painting Beach Huts. It's been marked out and masked with masking fluid but I've been to scared to start. Watercolour needs painting quickly, before it dries. For this reason, I finished the sky (more or less) and painted the base colours for the sea and beach with the dribbles. I'm doing wet into wet which gives more scope for watching the colours take on their own patterns. 









Colours used: Ultramarine, white, yellow ochre, yellow, burnt umber. Also using dry brushes and sponges for effects. The masking fluid is still in place and will remain there until I finishes the skyline, seashore, and edges of the huts and paving.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely end to a bad start

Today, I had planned a local day out in the Romahome. I am getting it ready for the trip to Suffolk. The day got off to a bad start. I packe...