Wednesday 12 January 2022

Portrait - AlfV2 - The jacket

 

I have planned three more portraits of Alf. He's really photogenic. Two are for A4 sized Canvases, one is for A3 sized canvas.



The first A4 portrait is The Jacket. I manipulated a black and white photo of Alf in his new rain jacket in a picture editing app. The result is a very colourful portrait of Alf looking very Alflike.








I started the first A4 canvas by laying a yellow ochre ground. The first sketch was full of mistakes, so I re-did sections of ground and started again.

I will use the colour version as painting guidance. Again, I'm hoping to limit my pallet to a few colours to achieve the desired effect.







Day 1 13/01/2022






Started with the eyes and ears. Added guide lines for the jacket and background.












Started to block in the background colour but stopped when the shape of the face began to look wrong. 

Need to add the shadows around the haw and nose before going any further. Headach stopped play (gassing from new foam mattress from day bed, yesterday.)








Day 2 16/01/2022




Added detail to the face.

Coming along nicely, though the acrylics are drying much darker, as usual.









Started repairs to lighten the colours.











Day 4 17/01/2022




Decided to be bold with brush strokes and colours. Result looks a mess close-up but rather good from a distance. Just a little more touching up on the ears and it should be finished.

Digital image in the background and black and white enlargement of the next A3 portrait planned for March,















I've  already found the perfect spot for this portrait one it is finished.










Finally stopped tinkering. Took out some of the fussy background for a cleaner portrait.


Next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely end to a bad start

Today, I had planned a local day out in the Romahome. I am getting it ready for the trip to Suffolk. The day got off to a bad start. I packe...