Thursday 6 January 2022

The Beachcomber, progress

 



I find working with acrylics much easier than watercolours (doesn't everyone?) Day 1 painting The Beachcomber is no exception. 








I'm trying a fairly limited pallet to make a colourful version of this photo;

just white, black, 2 reds, 2 blues, 2 yellows, and burnt umber.






Day 1 6 Jan 2022




I really enjoyed today's session, even though, at one paint, I wasn't certain that the masking fluid had worked. 

It had, the background sky and sea was easily removed from the figure.








I'm looking forward to continuing with this over the next few days.


Day 2. 9th Jan 2022



I decided to continue working on The Beachcomber, adding streaks of colour that aren't in the original photo. It's all a little dark at the moment, especially the beach, but, being acrylic, I should be able to adjust it.

The sky is almost done, but the sea and beach need more detail and coherent structure.





Day 3 10 Jan 2022



I decided to paint gesso over the beach and then start re-working the dark colours in the sky. Step one - gesso and pool of light.





I took the problem to the online forum on Leisure Painters online . Armed with lovely comments and sterling advice, I set about transforming the work.

I reworked the sky, making the whole thing lighter and brighter. The pool of light needs more work and the newly-added pebbles need some practice with the technique elsewhere before I continue. It's already looking better. 


Day 4 11 Jan 2022




Added more detail in the sky and on the beach. Tried to keep the colours bright and the details to a minimum. This is much better and I think I should call it finished before I start to ruin it again.






Signed and varnished and hung (temporily) in the dining room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely end to a bad start

Today, I had planned a local day out in the Romahome. I am getting it ready for the trip to Suffolk. The day got off to a bad start. I packe...